Staff: Patty Hinkle
24-Hour Attendance Line: 613-5290
The attendance office keeps track of all the excused and unexcused absences. Patty Hinkle works with parents and students on attendance issues. She also maintains the 24-hour attendance line and sign-in sheets for tardies and releases.
2011/2012 ATTENDANCE POLICY HIGHLIGHTS:
A parent must excuse an absence no later than 2:00 p.m. two days following the absence. A 24-hour number, 613-5290, for excusing absences. Notes from the parent/guardian are also accepted at the attendance office.
Download the Pre-Arranged Absence form.
EXCUSED ABSENCES INCLUDE:
Temporary illness or injury (a note may be requested by teacher/principal) Extended physical, mental or emotional disability
- Prearranged medical/dental appointments
- Participation in school-sponsored activity
- Participation in another educational activity as long as the student has prior approval
- A death or family emergency in a student's immediate family
- A family situation that makes it unreasonable for a student to attend school as long as a principal approves the absence
- Quarantine or a doctor's written note that school attendance may be dangerous for the student or others
- Absences related to court appearances or custody of law enforcement authorities
- Absences related to a student's religious observances
PROCESS FOR EXCUSING ABSENCES:
- If a student is absent, a parent must call the attendance line at 613-5290, no later than 2 school days following the absence.
- If a student must leave during the school day, a parent must call the attendance clerk or send a note excusing the student prior to the student's leaving.
- If a student misses a class because he/she is with a staff member, he/she must get a pass from that person and take it to the attendance office.
PARENT NOTIFICATION OF ABSENCES AND TARDIES
Parents or guardians will be notified by an automated telephone system for all absences and tardies, unless you have a "blocked" or delayed phone answering to communicate with your system.
Parents will be notified via letter and email that their student has excessive absences at the following intervals:
- At 6 unexcused and/or excused absences per class/semester
- At 10 unexcused and/or excused absences per class/semester
Teachers issue consequences for the first 3 tardies a student receives. On the 4th tardy, students will receive a Tardy Referral from the teacher and then the grade level administrator will issue discipline for the tardy infraction. Each tardy after the 4th will result in one additional consequence per tardy.
- Tardy: If a student enters class less than 5 minutes after class starts.
- Absent Tardy: If a student is more than 5 minutes late for a class but less than 20 minutes late.
- Absent: If a student is more than 20 minutes late.
Students or parents have the right to appeal any attendance decisions. The parent or student must initiate appeals to the teacher or principal.