David Saccardi, Director
Orchestra is designed for students wanting to improve their playing skills while working together in a performance organization.
A variety of music for string orchestra and full orchestra will be studied.
Performances include school concerts, honor orchestra, State Solo and Ensemble contest, Large Group Festival, and the All-District Orchestra.
- At least two years of experience on a stringed instrument.
- Students must have an instrument.
- There is a $37 class fee.
- Auditions may be required.
There are several options available for orchestra at LHS:
This group focuses on developing high level performance skills, as well as tending to the needs of creating a well rounded musician. Students will receive instruction in violin, viola, ‘cello, and double bass, music theory, music history, and performance skills. Students will be expected to attend all required concerts, CHSAA Festival, and Awards Night
This is the most advanced orchestra at LHS. We focus on playing high level, professional music, and work on advanced musical and technical concepts. Emphasis is also placed on chamber music performance. Students will received advanced instruction in violin, viola, ‘cello, and double bass, and be expected to attend all performances, as well as participate in community outreach. Auditions are required for entry to chamber orchestra.
All orchestra students will participate in Symphony Orchestra. This portion of their instruction focuses on advanced, symphonic literature, and string students will combine with woodwind, brass, and percussion players from the LHS Band program to perform these works. Symphony Orchestra begins second quarter, following the conclusion of the Marching Band season, so to accommodate the many musicians that play in both ensembles. Members from the LHS Choir program will also join forces with the LHS Symphony Orchestra occasionally.
Musical Pit Orchestra
This is a group of volunteer students from across the LHS Music Department that come together once to twice a year to perform as the musical accompaniment to the on-stage singers for the LHS Musical Productions. Rehearsals are after school, and attendance is expected for those selected to participate. All tech week rehearsals are MANDATORY as well. Past productions have included “Anything Goes!”, “Jekyll & Hyde: The Musical”, and “Les Miserables”.
Orchestra students will also have the option to audition for state-level ensembles, such as Western States Honor Orchestra, Colorado Allstate Orchestra, Combined League Honor Orchestra, as well as participate in district and state Solo & Ensemble Festival. Audition information and materials will be made available to students as they become available to the director.
2012-2013 Concert Dates
All concerts begin at 7 PM and take place in the LHS auditorium unless otherwise specified.
- September 20: Back-to-School Concert
- October 18: Chamber Music Fundraiser Concert
- December 18: Holiday Concert
- February 19: Winter Concert
- March 26: Pre-Winter Park Concert
- April 10: CHSAA Festival @ TVHS
- May 21: Spring Pops Concert with Bill Reed Middle School Orchestras
- May 23: Orchestra Awards Night
Useful Orchestra Links
Concert Orchestra Cover Sheet
Chamber Orchestra Cover Sheet
Bill Reed Middle School Music
Orchestra Honors 2011
- The LHS orchestra played at the Mountain View Orchestra Festival and got high marks from the judge and good exposure to the Loveland community. This was the first time the LHS orchestra has been to a contest in over five years!
- Five LHS students were accepted into the 2011-12 Colorado All State Orchestra! They are: Teagan, Daniel, Justin, David, and Ryan.